Working: 8.00am - 5.00pm
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) – is a public-benefit federal enterprise working in more than 100 countries worldwide. We work on behalf of the German Government and support public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and environment, and peace and security. Our activities cover three priority areas: Energy and Climate, which deals with renewable energy and energy efficiency; Training and Sustainable Growth for decent Jobs; and Peaceful and Inclusive Societies, which focuses on good governance.
• The project is supporting the Ministry of Energy in Ghana in improving the financial sustainability of the energy sector and the framework conditions for promoting investments in renewable energies and energy efficiency and aims at strengthening the Ghanaian climate goals and sustainable and inclusive economic development.
Scope of Role:
• The energy advisor will be responsible for achieving the objectives of output 2 of the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency for Climate Protection (SustainE4Climate) project and for state-owned energy supply companies to meet the prerequisites for implementation of new renewable energy/energy efficiency business models.
• Furthermore, the advisor will be in charge of the supervision and coordination of external consultants and support the Programme Component Manager with general tasks
• Performing project initiatives, e.g. preparation of feeder analysis, feasibility studies, tender documents and business models for
the commercial and industrial (C&I) sector business of distribution utilities with respect to decentralized generation and energy
• Organization of workshops and bilateral meetings, providing professional advisory services to and cooperate with the relevant
sector stakeholders, in particular the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) and Northern Electricity Distribution Company
• Undertaking project initiatives targeted at supporting ECG and NEDCo to develop RE/EE business models for their
commercial and industrial consumers; identifying and implementing capacity building measures for ECG and NEDCo to
develop RE/EE business models for commercial and industrial consumers
• Organisation, planning and implementation of steering committee, technical working group and bilateral meetings with partner
organisations; ensuring knowledge management and knowledge transfer to implementing partners and to external audiences;
liaison with Energy Commission, Public Utilities Regulatory Commission and the Ministry of Energy and development agencies
on relevant topics in consultation with Component Manager or Programme Manager.
• Monitoring and evaluation of project activities, including regular reporting to implementing partners and BMZ; supporting with
general project planning and developing project concepts
Education & Experience
• Master`s degree in a subject relevant to the project objectives, e.g. electrical engineering, energy management, renewable energy
• At least 8 years of work experience with focus on distributed renewable energy resources and electrical engineering
• Experience in a responsible renewable energy and energy efficiency function in a public electricity distribution utility essential.
• Strong command of English language (both written and oral) is required.
• Good working knowledge of modern IT systems, especially MS Outlook and MS Teams
• Good working knowledge in formal events planning with good management skills
• Proactive attitude towards personal growth and institutional changes
• Rendering result orientated performance; willingness to take up responsibility
Compensation & Other Benefits
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.